What Is Fall Overseeding?
Fall overseeding is something that many homewners might not know about or take the time to do. However, it creates a beautiful, healthy lawn year round. Overseeding is the act of seeding an already growing lawn with grass seed. It helps to grow more turf where it is thinning without starting over with completely new grass installation. Usually, this damage is created from heat, heavy foot traffic, or even lack of water. Overseeding is part of a comprehensive plan for your turf that can create a lush green lawn.
Based on geography, type of grass, and time of year, there are differences in overseeding techniques.
When Do You Practice Fall Overseeding?
Home Depot says that “Fall is the ideal time to overseed cool season grasses, because the soil is still warm enough to germinate seeds and the cool air invites grass to grow a strong root system. Cool season grasses include Kentucky Bluegrass, Perennial Ryegrass and Fescue…[and] late spring or early summer is ideal for overseeding warm season grasses in the South.”
Fall overseeding should be done earlier in the North because cooler weather happens sooner, whereas it can be done later in the South. By overseeding at this time of year, you are giving your grass a head start before the weather gets too cool. Overseeding, paired with the right amount of sun, fertilizer, etc. can create the perfect lawn.
How Do You Practice Fall Overseeding?
Overseeding your turf in the fall can be a great investment.
The steps to overseeding are:
- Choosing the right seed – Make sure to choose the right seed for both your grass and the climate that you live in.
- Preparing the turf area – Make sure to mow your lawn before seeding so the seed can come in contact with the dirt and doesn’t go to waste by getting stuck in thick grass.
- Seeding the turf area – Spread the seed across the turf area evenly.
- Watering the turf area – Immediately water the seeded area to help grow the seeds. Also make sure to water more frequently (1-2x a day) as you are waiting for the seeds to grow and match your existing lawn.
- Mowing the turf area – try no to mow as frequently while the new seeds are growing up to the same height as the existing lawn.
If you want to improve the quality and look of your lawn by Fall overseeding, but need some help or would like more detailed information, contact Commonwealth Sports Turf Services today!
- Why sports turf maintenance is important and important maintenance tips. - June 8, 2019
- Maintaining your Sports Turf During the Rainy Season - March 18, 2019
- Tips on How to maintain Your Artificial Sports Turf in Rainy Season - January 2, 2019